There’s a Whole Foods a 15 minute walk from my home port at the moment.
(If you don’t know yet, I’m currently a full-time performer on cruise ships.)
I cannot TELL you how happy it makes me to have one so accessible, especially on a turnaround day. It’s got absolutely everything I could want:
Coffee shop…fresh food…groceries…
and most importantly?
(Can I get an amen, ship people?)
It’s been amazing. I call it my “office”. Every turnaround day when we are in Seattle, I’ve been camping out there, getting a ton of work done and managing to not spend TOO much money most days.
(Because, let’s face it, Whole Foods ain’t cheap!)
Well, a few weeks ago, I was REALLY feeling like I needed an injection of goodness for my system that wasn’t going to weigh me down too much.
As I wandered up to the coffee counter and perused the menu, my eyes fell on the smoothies.
There it was: Green Goodness.
The thing that caught my eye most out of all the ingredients?
I ordered…I drank…I rejoiced.
I’ve been a little obsessed with fresh ginger lately, in fact. I’ve been loving throwing a few slices in with my Throat Coat tea when I’m warming up for the night’s performances.
And ever since I had that damn smoothie, I’ve been obsessing on a whole new level.
This past week during my Whole Foods visit, I was taking my routine trip around the groceries aisles actively scanning for those magical little blue labels indicating sales for Amazon Prime members when I was made an incredible discovery:
Above one of those beautiful little blue labels: A GIANT container of fresh organic blueberries.
I quickly threw them into my basket and skipped along through the rest of my shopping trip, which, of course, included a nice big hunk of fresh ginger root.
A couple days later, back onboard, the wheels in my head were turning…
I wondered if I would be able to combine these two precious ingredients somehow.
I scoured the googlesphere for recipe ideas…took stock of what was in my mini-fridge and modest cruise ship cabin pantry, grabbled my bullet blender and went to work.
Fresh Blueberry Ginger Smoothie.
Also known as HEAVEN.
Before I give you the recipe, let’s talk a little about the benefits of these two magical ingredients.
Benefits of Blueberries
Blueberries are a well-known member of the superfood family. Long celebrated for their delicious flavor in a low-glycemic, bite-sized package…They’ve always been one of my personal favorites.
Here are just a few of their incredible health benefits to inspire your snackage:
- They’re crazy-high in antioxidants which means they’ll help keep you healthy to give your very best on stage.
- They help reduce DNA damage which may help protect against anti-aging and cancer….nothing wrong with that!
- They may help lower blood pressure which is a major risk factor for heart disease. (Or heart palpitations the first time you get put into your swing track.)
- They can help maintain brain function and improve memory. (Definitely handy when trying to get off book.)
- May help reduce muscle damage after strenuous exercise. Our bodies take a beating in this business. May as well give them a fighting chance.
Now, onto ginger.
Benefits of Ginger
Ginger root is a major fan-favorite in the Ayurveda tradition for its medicinal properties. It’s powerful anti-inflammatory nature makes it a great tool for any pro singer to keep on hand.
- Additional health benefits include:
- It stimulates digestion by increasing the body’s ability to empty food from the stomach more quickly. (As a singer with reflux, this is HUGE.)
- It can lower blood pressure by expanding your blood vessels thereby increasing circulation
- It’s effective for reducing all types of nausea (Definitely comes in handy for seasickness in my world)
- It has powerful anti-bacterial properties
- It helps to reduce menstrual pains (Praise ALL that is good!)
Ready to give this amazing superfood 1, 2 punch smoothie a try?
If you do try it, please leave me a comment below letting me know how you liked it!
Fresh Blueberry Ginger Smoothie
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk Yogurt
- 1 Cup Fresh (or Frozen) Blueberries
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (Whole or Grated)
- 1 Pinch Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup Oat Milk (Or Any Plant Based Milk You Prefer)
- 1 Tbsp Honey (Sub Agave for Vegan Version)
- 5-6 Ice Cubes (For Desired Thickness)
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach (Or 1 Scoop of Your Favorite Superfood Greens Powder)
- Combine all ingredients into blender.
- Blend until smooth.
Looking for more amazing smoothie recipes?
Check out my FREE guide:
The Thriving Showbiz Babes 14-Day Smoothie Challenge
This 43 page guide is loaded with tons of info on the benefits of superfood smoothies, how they help restore gut health, blender recommendations, the superfood smoothie blueprint and best of all, TONS of delicious recipes to keep your blender busy and your belly flat, full and happy.